Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year

I am sure you have seen the commercial,

There are some that hate it, some that love it . . . .

I admit, it makes me a bit sad. I love back to school shopping and all that stuff but the idea that our kids make us so miserable that we look forward to sending them back to school . . . .

The problem isn't really with our kids, it is what we have done to them.

When I was younger, I had a room-mate that worked at a bank as a teller. One day they were robbed by an older man who looked like he had a gun in his pocket. He was caught within a few blocks (if I remember right) and while he had the money, he didn't have a gun but a donut in his pocket. He had gone to jail originally when he was a young man (late teens early 20s) and he had gotten out for the first time in his 50's or 60's. He had spent his entire adult life in an institution and didn't know how to function in the outside world. So he robbed a bank.

What does this have to do with our kids?

Think about their days, early they get up and get dressed for school. They spend over 6 hours at school with their entire day planned out for them - sometimes even down to when they go to the bathroom. Then when they get home - if they are lucky they stay home and get to be kids for awhile but they have homework and they have other activities like sports, 4-H, church, etc. And home in time to finish homework and fall into bed.

Their entire day is planned out for them or at least the vast majority of the day. Five days a week. for 9 months out of the year.

And then comes summer where we expect the kids to know how to entertain themselves. And siblings who really don't spend very much time together during the school year except in the car are expected to be friends and get along.

They might even be told to turn off the video game and go outside to play because it is summer and that is what you should do during summer.

Only they don't know how to come up with something to play because that isn't how they are taught to be creative during the school year.

So before long, mom is tired of the "I'm bored"s. And that is why she is so glad to ship them back off to school so she doesn't have to entertain them.

But it is just sad.

3 comments:

  1. That mindset makes me sad, too. It's not always rainbows and sunshine in our (homeschooling) family, but I'm glad that I get more than just a few precious hours with them at the end of the day. Leftovers... bleh.

    I think you're right about the public school schedule and summer boredom factor (although my kids are certainly capable of being bored, too -- chores are the cure for that in our house). One of the reasons we decided to homeschool was so that our kids would have plenty of time to just use their imagination and BE KIDS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep; I'm so glad I keep them home. I mean I work them hard, but they play just as hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is a great post! i am so saddened when folks send their little ones away for so long and are not emotional about it. In fact overjoyed.

    ReplyDelete